Thursday, August 9, 2007

i come from a long line of...



there are a lot of lessons about being female that i credit my maternal family line with teaching me... some of my favorites being: intense curiosity is a must, a healthy mixture of positive attitude and cynicism makes you the perfect package, the idea that we CAN carry everything ourselves but that our men SHOULD help anyway, that women should be feminine but never weak or limited, and a fierce love for family is what life is all about. but sewing... or any crafting for that matter, wasn't one of the lessons bestowed upon me.

i don't care what anybody tells you... everyone has to have busy hands.

in 1970-somthing-er-other my mother or aunt would have been a certain age at which they were required to do sewing in some capacity for school. no one knows for sure how the Singer Stylist 534 came to be a possession in the household (my grandma would know, but she's gone now and lately i realize she had ALL the information). point is, my grandparents got a sewing machine to make this task easier (another maternal line lesson: always buy equipment/books/supplies every time you are required to do something new). sadly, the machine never came back out to witness the 80's or otherwise.

creativity has to come out... a psychic told me that once. it doesn't seem that profound but if you know me, you'd know that i fight it all the time.

i've decided to start sewing. i snagged the sewing machine out of the upstairs storage at my mom's, and brought little stylie home. she's old... but wise! she's less attractive than a new model... but sturdy! she's limited in function... but proficient at what she can do.

i start a lot of things, i rarely finish them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHY DOSE THE THREAD KEEP COMING OUT OF THE NEEDLE WHEN STARTING TO SEW, CHECK THE BOOK AND IT IS THREADED RIGHT AND THE BOBBIN IS THREADED RIGHT. CHECKED ALL THE SETTING. ITS BAD ON THE NERVES.