Thursday, January 31, 2008
WHAT does a gorgeous cappuccino with a heart in the foam have to do with hell? nothing der... it has everything to do with the 'back' part. i'll explain...
i had a committee meeting this morning. a long overdue, long avoided, and long winded committee meeting.
ugh, i decided i can't even go into it. point is, that was a HARD week... and all i want now is comfort. licorice and cappuccinos with heart foam. that's all.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Here a couple of ‘Rise & Shine’ ideas to get you and your children off to a brighter start!
1) Create a hot breakfast meal together: Have your children help you make blueberry pancakes, whole-grain waffles, or a berry-and-milk-smoothie.
i don't have time to make tea in a to-go cup, i don't have time for blueberry pancakes, either. i'd have to get up at 6am, which would be alright if i didn't have to stay up until 1:30am the night before to get my work done.
2) Tell a story from your childhood: My children’s favorites are the ones about losing my passport in a foreign country and capsizing in a rowboat. (I suppose hearing about Mom being in a vulnerable situation is always a hit!) this brings on a torrent of questions. 'where was i?' 'why wasn't i born yet?' 'what's a rowboat?' 'can i come?' 'why were you a little girl?' questions to which, the answers are unacceptable, prompting a yelling fit where he insists the opposite of what i'm telling him.
3) Using old magazines and photos of your child create a collage together. Themes like sports, favorite things, and places we want to visit are just a few of the many sources of inspiration you can use for this simple yet memorable project. listen sweetcheeks, i just told you in #1 that i don't have time for a hot breakfast... so if we extrapolate from that, it's reasonable to say that i don't have time to collage either.
4) Institute a ‘calm voices’ rule for the mornings. Define when the morning period ends- perhaps when breakfast is over, beds are made, or school starts. Feel free to say, after a tennis ball has shattered your lamp, “I’m feeling upset, so I’m going in to my room alone for a few minutes to calm down so that I don’t shout at you.” What a wonderful message you will be sharing about controlling outbursts! in a very QUIET AND CALM voice... 'put your pants on. yes, you have to wear those pants. why do you hate those pants, they're just pants? so pick what pants you do want. in your middle drawer, go. just put your pants on. HEY! i mean, hey... you can't go to school without pants on. no, it's not a home day, put your pants on. ON... on, on buddy. okay, i'm almost ready and i'm going to leave without you if you're not ready. yes i will! so just put your pants on and then you don't have to worry about it. put them on. not backwards, stop that. put them on. pants! on! oh my god i can't take anymore.i'm going to go ahead and say that NONE of these things are even remotely options. thanks a lot for making me feel like an even bigger a-hole mother, because now i know that there are either women out there that DO all these things, or at least believe i should. scroll down on the page and read what Jaylene has to say... she gets it, i'm calling her to be BFF right now.
Monday, January 21, 2008
ever noticed how in medical text books, they'll show a child with a visible disorder and they'll put that black bar over their eyes to give them some privacy? i always laughed at that, as though the eyes were the only thing identifying those children. gigs up...
i have been wrestling with the idea of putting any pictures up on my blog or as a seller on etsy. i think it's important to be able to put a product to a face in the case of the handmade craft movement. there is something normal about seeing the crafter, it makes it worth more for me. but then there is the part of me that is super neurotic... that thinks that as soon as there is a picture of me on a public website, all the creeps will want to come get me and my family.
i posted this very question on the etsy forums tonight, and i got mixed results... some were comfortable with the idea, because it's inane to think the online is the only venue that leaves you vulnerable... and there were others who just felt like NOT having pictures up was just inherently safer.
gigababy is what i consider a big-time blogger. she's got pictures of her and her family all over the place. gigs has a real opinion on issues of wreckless driving (i invite you to check out her blog). her opinion is not always well received by some people and they do try to find information on her. i worry, you know... but she doesn't and i love that about her. so that makes me think i'm totally insane to think that my little blog is any kind of risk.
but then if you read angry chicken, she never puts pictures of her children's faces or her family up for that matter. her blog is very popular... and she steers clear of visual identity for the most part.
so who's right? am i at risk if i'm on a public website, or not? :(
Sunday, January 20, 2008
last night four of us went to the food and wine expo. it was myself and my husband, my sister and her boyfriend. it was fun, but mostly because it was us. anyway, wine for 2 tickets. done. more wine for 2 more tickets, yes please. food, yea yea, food... 3 tickets. WINE, 2 tickets. buy more tickets! then we signed up for a cheese tasting seminar. the combination of the wine and the class atmosphere (i wanted to do what the guy told me to) led to my trying cheeses i would NEVER, EVER eat normally. one in particular... the Champsfleury, which i'm telling you translates to 'champion smell', smelled like garbage. the moderator asked, "what does it smell like to you?" and people would say things like, vegetables, or butter, and i was screaming in my head 'GARBAGE'. anyway, i ate it and if you could avoid smelling it as it went into your mouth... the result was quite pleasing. the texture is like that of nothing else. anyway SO MUCH CHEESE, and then more wine for 2 tickets. it was fun.
i have a new line of wool bags. so far i have only posted the zippered pouches. i use mine as a clutch at this point, but i'll be making the peep clutches with my beautiful wools.
alright, my little one just broke my awesome food and wine expo wine glass... must go pretend like i am upset so he stays away from mommy's things... oh and clean it up too.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
it's a HOT pink sleeve and it's made out of this... synthetic fabric that i can't really understand. it's like foam with hot pink tights over top. just... it's bad. my heart was in the right place, i wanted something bright and i liked that it was a canadian designer selling independently.
so, for months now i've been thinking i should make myself a little sleeve. i wasn't sure... i was thinking wool... but then i started to think i would hate that in spring and summer, and denim was both wintery and summery...
this is it.
<--- it wasn't ever meant to look like this, but because i'm completely out of my mind and totally clumsy tonight (i'm covered in chicken stock i made for 4 hours and spilled all over me in 20 seconds, and a vodka that i made in the spirit of 'screw it all' that i just dropped all over me and the carpet, which means the vodka was in the spirit of 'screw you') it's not to the design specifications. for example... the flap was never meant to tuck in, but i sewed the G-D buttons on the wrong side. DER. however, it's a happy mistake because i like it better. and just so we're all in agreement that my brain is not working... i had to rip out stitches along the entire piece 3 TIMES... because i sewed the wrong sides together. yes, 3 times. anyway... i'm going to use it. it fits the bill.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
and my sister has this beautiful, magazine worthy, attic apartment which has tons of floor space, and not so much head space... necessitating floor seating/lounging in the edge-regions.
so the two should meet, right? i agree. this particular gum drop pillow is the first she'll be receiving tomorrow. it's the small size (18" wide by 9" high; however, i believe it's taller than that at this point). i'll have to take some pictures of it in her apartment, because my house, featuring the bay window with no handle (because 4 year-olds just turn cranks regardless of the temperature outside) does it no justice.
for god's sake punch, WHAT is your point? my point is, i am considering selling these on etsy... likely unfilled (i have added a zipper closure). let's say i did some up in other colors, some neutrals, some geometrics... etc... would they be a good idea for my etsy store?
Friday, January 11, 2008
1. if you have 5 dollars, and Chuck Norris has 5 dollars, Chuck Norris has more money than you.
2. There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris' computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.
3. Chuck Norris' calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools Chuck Norris.
4. Chuck Norris can sneeze with his eyes open.
5. Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
6. Chuck Norris played russian roulette with a fully loaded gun and won.
7. Chuck Norris doesn't read books . He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
8. Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.
9. There is no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard. There is only another fist.
10. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down.
11. Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.
12. Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
13. Chuck Norris can touch MC Hammer.
14. Scientists have estimated that the energy given off during the Big Bang is roughly equal to 1 CNRhK (Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick).
15. Chuck Norris can divide by zero.
16. While urinating, Chuck Norris is easily capable of welding titanium.
17. Chuck Norris always knows the EXACT location of Carmen Sandiego.
18. While taking the SAT, write "Chuck Norris" for every answer. You will score over 8000.
19. Chuck Norris doesn't throw up if he drinks too much. Chuck Norris throws down!
20. Chuck Norris grinds his coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his own rage.
*adapted from www. chucknorrisfacts.com
Monday, January 7, 2008
ughhhhhhh. i love my new camera (a Canon Powershot A560) in real life. I think it does a fabulous job of taking pictures without the flash (I actually HATE pictures taken with a flash, they are so fugmo). PLEASE EXCUSE MY MESS OF A HOUSE.
<--- At any rate, no flash!
I just hate the way my product photos look. I can't get it the way I like it. I'm sick inside...
In other news: I'm terribly bored. My husband just went to bed at 10:20. He had to get up early to drive to the city to teach a seminar to some professionals in his field (vague! for my safety, hahahha). Anyway, he's tired, and I'm still up. I'm watching Cruel Intentions, even though it's a ridiculous movie, and a TERRIBLE attempt to modernize Dangerous Liasons, which IS a good movie. But here I am, watching it anyway... feeling sick about my camera, and dying a little inside everytime Sarah Michelle Gellar says the f-word... she's so annoying, and her swearing is painful... so unnatural. Not like when I do it. ;)
Friday, January 4, 2008
so, it's killing me. i've yet to hear back from the magazine. i know it's ridiculously early, considering it's the APRIL issue, but i really would like to know if the associate editor liked them/is going to feature them.
camera died. however... my husband's grandma just sent him a check for $250 for christmas (quite unexpectedly)... so we're going to replace the good ol' nikon coolpix 2100 from 2003. i hope my pictures still look moody and slightly pink like the coolpix used to make them... it's my signature picture style.
i dropped off the last of my wholesale order bags today. feels good to have it done and closed off. she gave me some samples of her eyeshadows, which i'm quite excited to try, so that was fun too.
ughhhh, nothing interesting is going to come out of my mouth (fingers as it were)... i'm just all anticipation tonight, with no results.
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
4 new little-stuffs bags in varying sizes/prints. these i like because they scream boudoir. perfect for things that inherently smell good because they are 'products' ladies use, like little lotion, perfumes, soaps, and MAC lip glass which for some unadvertised reason is reminiscent of chocolate.
you won't be seeing any new pictures, because today my camera ATE THE BIG ONE. ughhhhhh. i was taking pictures of this adorable 8 wk-old puppy that is living here while my mom attends a funeral. he's the cutest thing on two wheels, er... 4 legs. perhaps one day i will get the pictures off the dead camera's CF card that is lost somewhere in the living room. i threw it onto the chair carelessly while i LITERALLY had my camera apart. i took off both the front and back, unplugged two data cables, disassembled the lens motor and lens itself. i've never seen the inside of a digital camera. it would have been interesting had my 4 year-old and the puppy NOT tag-teamed to bump my work area sending 10 TEENY screws flying into space (one is still missing). what a nightmare. i don't know HOW i'll get a new digital camera, and hence... what will happen with my sales/new items????? how can i post online listings... DESCRIBE IT? ugh.
happy new year.