Friday, June 13, 2008

singer featherweight 221 links and help

look what i got!!!

<---- a co-worker of mine that was amazed that i could "sew" on a "sewing machine" told me that when she moved into their house, she found an old sewing machine in her attic. she tried to get it to work, but the tension was all jacked up and she didn't like the smell. in fact, she only kept it because she liked old things. she said she'd bring it in for me to take, and i thought, "cool, wouldn't it be awesome if it were an old singer" to myself, of course because i don't want to look like a nerd. (which i am).


she did bring it in, and i was totally amazed. this singer featherweight from 1938 is MINE!!! i told anne they were a nice little piece and worth money, but she insisted that i take it. she's the nicest woman on the planet. THANKS ANNE.

me and 'lightweight' are having lots of good times already. she's 11.5 lbs and has a box with a carrying handle, so we went to my mom's to sew last Sunday... which was really nice.

i love this machine.
MY ADVICE: if you are getting an old machine, GET SOMEONE to service it for you before you start sewing with it. i know it's tempting, but sewing while the parts are dry will spell disaster. also, ASK YOUR SEWING MACHINE guy to tell you about the featherweight quirks... (the threads tangle if you don't hold them when you start; if it jams, wind the wheel backwards hard, never forwards; etc. etc.) because i avoided having to learn all those things on my own like i did with stylie (recall: nearly throwing sewing machine out of window). however, if you're like me a year ago, and you're broke... there are lots of resources on the web (see below) that will explain how to clean and oil your machine yourself. i just couldn't stand to go through it again. lastly, DON'T PUT modern-day household cleaners on your machine, you'll destroy the japanning (black coat). use furniture polish and wipe it dry while it's still wet to avoid spots. (not that i've been all that great about cleaning it, but a reliable source gave me this info).

now, i don't know much about them, but as i research the featherweights, I'll post the links just like i did for stylie.

LINKS:

this is what i used to research the history behind the featherweights, to determine which model it was, and what year it was made:
singer-featherweight

here's the manual in PDF and it's got nice, large, clear diagrams... needlebar.org

this is a forum that is devoted to old singers and their attachments, and there are quite knowledgeable ladies on there... Singer-Attachments

and actually, if you're looking for attachments, which i haven't purchased yet but plan to, i would start here, because it looks like the real deal: (she's the creator of the above forum): mytwothreads

that's all for now, i think. i'll update as i go.

yay!

6 comments:

alicia said...

that last picture of the thumbs up is my favourite thing that happened today.

Gigababy said...

There's one in my dad's side that's been passed down and was bought through the Eaton's catalogue in 1928. If I remember the whole thing was encased in its own table with a pedal, too. Weighed a ton. I would love one just to have one for show.
I own a sewing machine. I have no clue how to use it.

Rascallion said...

I am sooo, wanting a Featherweight! Green with envy right now.

I guess you've had a chance to use it some, how does it sew? Does it live up to it's reputation?

punchanella said...

yes, so i've used it a bunch since i got it.

i LOVE it. if i don't want to be upstairs in my sewing room all lonely, i bring it down stairs so i can be with the living.

if i'm at my mom's for the day, i just take it along.

it sews through everything (although I'm only using several layers of cotton or batting at this point).

i guess i'm just most impressed with it's portability. it's not that it's that light (11lbs) but it's so small... it will fit anywhere.

i do love it.

Yoga with Gaileee, E-RYT said...

Nice photos of your featherweight.

Here is another good site (mine)
http://singerfeatherweight221.blogspot.com/

yogawithgaileee at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

My Featherweight was a high school graduation present from my grandmother. We also purchased a card table with a wooden top and cutout to drop the machine into. I have used this continuously! I am now searching for instructions to sew an invisible zipper using the special Coats zipper foot for my daughter's wedding dress and all tutorials scare me!